Thursday, December 29, 2011

Reflections

I hope and trust that you all had a great time with your family and friends over this Holiday Season.  Did you make lasting memories?  Was it all you expected?  Was the food good?  Did you give a gift that mattered to someone?  I truly hope that this Christmas was a special one for you; that you were blessed in a special and unique way this year.............

Jesus, Messiah
Name above all Names
Blessed Redeemer
Emmanuel
The rescue for sinners
The ransom from heaven
Jesus Messiah
Lord of all

This was the chorus to a song we sang at out Christmas Eve service that brought tears to my eyes.  It hit me that night that we usually sing this song to remember our Lord's death and what impact that had on the bondage of sin but that this song means so much more.

I said in my last post that Jesus is the true reason for the season and this rings true now more than ever.  In fact, I venture to say that Jesus is the true reason for our lives.  Gods gift of Jesus wasn't a gift that was opened on Christmas morning, played with and put in a cupboard to be taken out occasionally or when family comes over.  We see throughout Jesus life that it was a gift that kept on giving long after the "moment" was just passed.

My Jesus, perfect in everything, gave up perfection to take on the form of a imperfect human being and allowed himself to be personally impacted by the sinfulness of this world.  That gift is the reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place.

...........Yes, my Christmas was good.  I made some great lasting memories and ate a lot of great food.  And I really, truly, hope that I gave a gift to somebody this season that made a lasting impression on someone's life.  Maybe it was only a hug or words of encouragement to someone.  Maybe it was a present or the gift of time spent with someone.  Remember, its not the size of the gift that matters to someone......it the thought that counts.

I know it sounds like a cliche but when we understand what Jesus has given to us, it puts it into a whole different perspective.

God Bless and have a blessed New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment